Photos

MORE: Rural | City | Food | All galleries


New recording: Groove 3

I sat down at the keyboard and this was the third of some piano grooves I came up with. I worked on it for a few weekends. My first new song in years!


(Link to MP3 file)

Last year I bought a Yamaha YPG-635 digital piano, with weighted keys and a great piano sound. It's plugged into my MacBook which runs GarageBand. I used to use a Fostex 4-track tape deck, and then a version of ProTools on my Power Mac 8600 (bought in 1998). Andy and I worked on a few recordings with these setups, but they were hard to use, and we weren't even doing anything that complicated. Now multi-track recording is so much easier.

This instrumental is mostly piano and bell sounds but has some organ for the exciting parts and a little saxophone. I also had a hi-hat cymbal in the basement that's fun to play. I don't know anything about drumming but it sounded better than something canned for the drum track. Hope you can enjoy it even though it's a little rough. I'd make a lot of changes if I had more time, inspiration, and experience.

Inspiration came from my friends and from music I've listened to over the years like MMW (Medeski, Martin, and Wood), the Doors, Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison, and even some Japanese music. Early Beck albums opened my eyes to the potential of badly played percussion.

For my recordings from years ago, see my old Music page.

Here's a screenshot of most of the song:

3 comments:

Rich T said...

That was nice. Listening it with the dinky computer speaker lost a lot of its depth and dynamic range but with the headphones on I liked it very much. The high hats sound good.

samuel said...

pretty good. atmospheric. but it ended just as I was starting to get into it!

by the way, are you planning on working on any more songs?

Scott Teresi said...

Thanks for the compliments! I want to record some more but haven't found the time yet to sit down and try another one.